Monday, June 19, 2006

Everything Changes

Alan Bennett's play, The History Boys, won six Tonys recently. And in an interview with the Financial Times he talked about his diaries. Jan Dalley wrote:

The diaries of 2004 record the making of The History Boys in fascinating detail. Work apart, they are a delightful smorgasbord of sparkling mundane descriptions - trapping mice, visiting churches, making small-talk with a road-sweeper - but always with a Bennettian twist. Blackberrying along the Yorkshire country lanes he loves, the juice-stained hands of his companion remind him of a 1940s murder film.
It's the last sentence in the quotation that flummoxed me for a moment. I had an image of Bennett in a country lane responding to emails on his BlackBerry: of course it didn't make sense. Then I realised Dalley was referring to picking the fruit, which even I have done as a child.

Innocence gone--we can't read it that way any more. Everything changes....

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Caz Mockett said...

LOL, this made me laugh too. I perceived it as doing his emails on the fly as well! Although I suppose that if he had a particularly bad email from an editor, the 1940s murder film theme might come true?? :-)