Goodbye London, Hello Dublin....



From September 2014 I'm taking up a new position at the UCD Sutherland School of Law as the McCann FitzGerald Professor of International Law and Business. I've been an external examiner at UCD for the past three years and have got to know and like the people there.

The position is everything I could imagine focussing on globalization, lawyers, law firms, international business, all with a sociological twist. I will be running a joint MSc in international law and business with the UCD School of Business. UCD will be joining Law Without Walls as well this year.

And, of course, Ireland is about to introduce its new legal services regulatory structure which I can't miss. (For more on this see Maeve Hosier's new book, The Regulation of the Legal Profession in Ireland, Quid Pro Books).

UCD has opened a new law building this year which is beautiful and is one of the best I've seen.


It reminds me of my home in London with its open spaces and great use of glass. It's a convivial space.


I won't be severing all my ties with London (pace Dr Johnson). University College London has made me an Honorary Professor of Law. And I shall be a Visiting Professor of Law and Sociology at the University of Westminster. I will also continue to be a member of the Research Strategy Group at the Legal Services Board.

In a way, it's a return to my roots.

PS. The gym at UCD has kettlebells!


Comments